Wednesday, May 18, 2011

MUH ME LEH


Something that stare you in the face is how polite people are in this part of the world. This politeness is a very deeply ingrained way of life here. No offence to my American friends, but the politeness here seems to  be much more genuine and heartfelt, than the practised almost perfunctory politeness you see in the US. I apologise to my Latin American and Central American friends for calling my friends from the US American. Having complained about the US or people from Estados Unidos, as they are known here, I begin to think about us Indians. I wrack my brains to find words or phrases for cheers, or health, as the term transalates in most other cultures used before sharing a drink, or a word for Bon Apetite or Bon Provecho, its spanish equivalent before a meal. Muh Me Leh somehow just doesn't have the same ring to it!!

I love the fact that everyone greets everyone, whether on a street, in  a mall, or in an apartment building. Little todlers will scream Hola when you pass, and others will always have a Buenos Dias or Buenos tardes , or Buenos Nocches for you as you make eye contact. No conversation starts without a Con Permiso, Perdon, or Per favor, and rarely will an exchange not end in a Gracias.

I guess we Indians can add a few words to our vocabulary and learn a more few things besides learning how to stand in a queue.

1 comment:

  1. Is that what our salut is? Muh me leh? Didnt know. When I read the headline I thought it was the name of a new place you went to. :) But I totally agree about some expansion of vocabulary

    ReplyDelete